Monday, June 22, 2009

The Wanderer

I believe that everybody has a purpose in life, something they are meant to be or to achieve. Some people fulfull theirs and some don't; some people are aware of theirs and some aren't. Some people have more than one.

I've been considering the idea, since about the time I started this blog, that perhaps one of mine is awakening other people. Not like a human alarm clock (now there would be a dangerous job), like a...well, I'm not really sure if there's a succinct phrase for it. But I've wondered whether my job in life isn't to wander through others' lives, pointing out to them that there is always more to life than what they are complacent with.

Many people have said to me that I have a passion for life that most people don't, that I'm enthusiastic and vivacious and can make even the smallest daily things fun. I have trouble seeing that in myself, of course; most of us are unaware or rather skeptical of those things that others refer to as our best traits. That's not what matters, though. The important part is that people see me that way, and they tend to pick it up off me.

So maybe I'm meant to wander into people's lives, shake them up, shove them off balance, and encourage them to see that there are other things out there. Then I move on to shaking up someone else. The thing is, if that's what I'm supposed to be doing, I think I'm doing it wrong somehow...because the people I shake up get strangely attached to me as a result. Is breaking hearts part of putting people on their toes, or is it a crime I'm committing unintentionally?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure it's a crime if it's unintentional! A talent, a gift, perhaps, but 'tis they who grow attached of their own will or lack of it...

    One who wears my heart on my sleeve, it's left and come back many times, yet always goes again!

    ReplyDelete