Monday, July 7, 2014

Fight, Flight, or Fun

We were spending a lazy afternoon on the couch after a beautiful day of tubing on the river. Shelby was in the kitchen mixing drinks, and Aiden had taken a moment to pull me into a long, slow kiss. Suddenly I felt his hand brush my forehead and then he pinched my nose shut, sealing off my mouth with his and drawing the breath out of me.

It's going to be okay, I told myself, trying not to fight him. I shifted my position so I was lying straighter. This is not worthy of panic. You know he won't kill you.

I held on, focusing on his tongue to keep my body from reacting instinctively, and a moment later he let go.

"It's amazing how much more strongly you react to that than you do to me choking you," he said with a grin. "I can feel your fight-or-flight response."

Even reminiscing now, more than twelve hours later, I feel the need to go take a few deep breaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment